CA Fast Track Support
Application Performance Management Troubleshooting Guide and Checklist
Last Updated: December 01, 2016
This document is a checklist of items that need to be collected as well as a set of general trouble shooting steps that need to be completed before engaging Application Performance Management (APM) Subject Matter Experts for assistance using Fast Track Support.
- Search Knowledge base and communities for known solution
- Knowledge Search should be used including:
- Product Documentation
- Product Support Page for published knowledge documents
- Release notes and read.me files
If solution was not found in the Knowledge Base, documentation, or the communities, the following items need to be completed and collected before the bypass case is created.
- Complete appropriate troubleshooting steps
- Verify there is a good working backup of the system in case there is a need to rollback
- Review change and release management logs
- Whenever possible, determine whether changes have been made to the system or environment (AMS has dependency on the OD infrastructure team)
- Upstream, Downstream, OS, Network, hardware, fiber, hubs, routers, security, etc
- If troubleshoot has to be done on the production environment, ensure the system and all of its DB’s have been backed up in their entirety before starting troubleshooting process
- Provide the results of troubleshooting steps taken
- Collect any logs as outlined in Troubleshooting so they can be attached to case if needed
If issue is still not resolved, please log a bypass case including the following completed checklist in the case activity:
- Customer Name:
- Customer Site ID:
- Customer Type (On-Demand or On-Premise):
- Product Name:
- Product Version:
- Product Patch Level:
- Customer environmental detail (if On Premise):
- Note: Be sure to include vendor/version for each: Database, Server, 3rd Party apps(CABI, JAVA, etc…), Browser
- Provide a full detailed description of the problem
- What version of APM, OS, Application, are you running?
- Include all steps that you took before you encountered the problem.
- Include screenshots
- Was this a fresh install or an upgrade? If an upgrade, what version did you upgrade from? Was this an in place upgrade or a fresh install and then migrate the data over?
- Was this working prior to the issue happening?
- What changed in the environment? Did you upgrade the OS, Java, Application or any part of APM?
- Are there any customizations on the APM Agent or EM?
- Are there any field packs you have installed?
- What were you trying to accomplish at the time the issue happened?
- What error(s) or misbehaviors did you encounter?
- Is the issue reproducible? If so, what are the steps?
- Do you have a duplicate environment (i.e. Test, QA, Development) that you can reproduce the issue on?
- Provide relevant logs (APM, OS, Application logs) where relevant and screenshots for the problem. If possible, turn on DEBUG and reproduce the issue and submit those logs.
- When did the problem start?
- How often does the problem happen?
- Identify what you have done – troubleshooting steps taken
- Depending on the issue, at some point CA Support may ask for a copy of the Management Module(s), Agent directory, Smartstor DB, traces DB, or APM DB to further help troubleshoot the issue. Having these ready is beneficial.
Business Use Case:
- What are you attempting to achieve, how and why?