Health Checks for CA Products
As part of the Next-Generation Management strategy, many CA products are providing health checks that run under the IBM Health Checker for z/OS. The Health Checker is a base component of z/OS that identifies potential problems before they impact availability or cause outages.
CA product health checks continuously monitor the active system environment to ensure CA solutions are optimally configured, alerting customers to any potential problems so they can be repaired before they impact work on the system. Specifically, checks:
- validate that best practices are being followed
- check that recommended product parameter settings are in use
- monitor product resources to ensure they remain at or below predefined thresholds
- verify that recent product enhancements are being utilized to ensure maximum return on the customer's investment in CA technology
CA health checks are written by product developers and included with the product, weaving expert product configuration knowledge directly into the software. With the capability of CA products to inspect themselves, customers no longer need to deploy staff with specialized CA product skills - to confirm that CA products are working optimally; customers merely need to ensure that no health check exceptions are present.
The following are required to run CA product health checks:
- z/OS 1.8 or higher
- The IBM Health Checker for z/OS must be active on the system
- The CA Health Check Common Service feature must be installed:
- CA Common Services r11 customers, see RI18684 for details
- CA Common Services r12 customers, see RI18890 for details
- The level of the CA product that delivers health checks must be installed
The following table shows CA products that provide or will soon provide health checks and the level of the product required to obtain the health checks.