Copying and pasting of tasks in MSP can cause issues depending on the method used. This document will go over the CA PPM best practices when copying and pasting tasks in MSP and the known impact of not using the best practices.
The best practice is to only copy and paste specified columns in a MSP View, and not copy and paste the entire task as there are some reserved fields that can cause issues if copying and pasting into another task.
Recommended method of copying and pasting:
- In MSP, create a view that includes only the columns you want copied from one task to another
- Use your mouse to select the columns in the task(s) to be copied, then right click and select 'Copy Cell'
- Right click at the row you want to paste the task(s) to and click 'Paste'
Here is an overview of what the Text1, Text2, and Text3 fields are used for:
- Text1 - This stores the Task ID from the ID Field in PPM for the Task. If you are not using this field (either by manually entering IDs or by using Auto-Numbering of Task IDs) this will not have any data
- Text2 - This will only have a value if you are using the 'Task Guidelines' attribute
- Text3 - The Text3 field is used at the task, assignment, and team level to map data. The field is a reserved field and can contain the following: unique ID, track mode, open for time entry and other important PPM information. Copying and pasting this field can specifically cause an issue if the task is created in PPM.
- Note: If you create the task in PPM, Text3 stores the internal task ID of the task from PPM, so if you copy and paste the task that includes Text3 and save the project back, it won't save the new task. The workaround would be to delete both the Text3 data for that task in both the Task view and also the Assignment in the Resource Usage view. If you delete just the Text3 data from the task, it will give you a 'Save Failed' message, because the Text3 data is still in the assignment.
If you do copy and paste an entire task, make sure to delete any data showing up in Text1, Text2, Text3 at the Task and Assignment levels if the data exists:
1. Add the Text3 column to the Task Usage and Resource Usage views
2. Also add the Text1 and Text2 columns to the Task Usage view
3. After copy and pasting the existing task to create a new task:
- Delete any Text3 data from the Resource Usage view
- Delete any Text1, Text2, Text3 data from the Task Usage view
Note: If you do copy and paste a team member, similar steps would need to be taken to ensure the Text3 data is removed:
- Delete any Text3 data from the Resource Sheet view
Reference the Default Field Mapping section of Synchronize Microsoft Project (MSP) with CA PPM for more information on the Text fields
Reference TEC1770383 - How can I enable Auto-Numbering for Task IDs?
Reference TEC1015966 - In MSP, receive a "Save Failed" error referencing a Unique Constraint Violation in the logs