Unable to open a project in Microsoft Project (MSP) if a calendar associated with the project (either the Standard Calendar, or any resource’s calendar that is on the team) has more than 51 characters. When you attempt to open the project, you first see a Microsoft Project message "An Import error occurred. The element in the element with = 1 (Or ID of the respective calendar) has invalid data. The calendar name does not exist. Click a calendar in the list, and then press Enter." Once you click OK to the message, the project opens blank with no data.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. In PPM, create a calendar with more than 51 characters:
• Go to Administration->Project Management ->Base Calendars
• Click ‘New’
• In the Calendar Name field, enter a name with more than 51 characters (Example name: Calendarcharacterlengthissuewithmspnewdrivertest1234)
• Click the check box next to Standard to make it the Standard calendar
• Click ‘Save’
2. Create a new project in PPM with one task (No tasks are needed to reproduce this issue, this is to show the affect of the project also being blank in MSP)
3. Attempt to open the export the project from PPM to MSP
Expected Results: Project opens successfully with the one task shown on the project
Actual Results: When you attempt to open the project, you first see a Microsoft Project message "An Import error occurred. The element in the element with = 1 (Or ID of the respective calendar) has invalid data. The calendar name does not exist. Click a calendar in the list, and then press Enter." Once you click OK to the message, the project opens blank with no data.
1. You can reproduce this issue with calendars that are not the standard by associating a resource on the project team with that calendar in 14.4 (In 15.1/15.2, you can't always reproduce the issue unless the Calendar is the Standard Calendar in the application which appears to be because of a separate calendar defect, DE32693, that was introduced in 15.1. In 15.1 and 15.2, the resource's calendar with the issue may not always be exported to MSP because of DE32693, so then you won't see the effects of the issue at the resource level in that case)
2. If this project is a sub project of another project, when you attempt to open the master project associated with the problem project, you'll see the following:
- A popup window opens looking for the file in the MSP Bin folder "Example: Program Files (x86) -> CA -> PPM - CA PPM MSP Interface -> Bin".
- A message at the top of the window states "Cannot find inserted project - ...". When you click 'Cancel' to the message it takes you to just a list of the sub projects, and no actual tasks for the projects.
This issue is caused by DE35907
This issue is under review as DE35907.
Reduce the length of the calendar name to be less then 51 characters:
1. Go to Administration->Project Management ->Base Calendars
2. Click on the calendar with the issue
3. Click on the ‘Edit Calendar Properties’ tab
4. In the Calendar Name field, change the name of the calendar to be less than 51 characters
5. Click ‘Save’
Reference TEC1185235 for more information on DE32693 - Some Resource Calendars do not show in MSP