When opening a project in Microsoft Project (MSP) a warning message is unexectedly generated even though no dates/times have changed for a task or assignment. Message: The resource is assigned outside the original dates for task <Task Name> in project <project name>. The duration of this fixed-duration task will change to accommodate the resource assignment.
- This issue is only reproducible if the task duration is greater than one day.
- This message will appear by Microsoft Project design if a Fixed Duration task's duration is increasing to warn the user that the task duration is changing, but in this case, there are no durations being pushed out.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new project in PPM
2. Assign a resource to the project (To add the ETCs automatically to the assignment, allocate the resource at 100% allocation)
3. Create one task with a 2 day duration and assign the resource to the task
4. Export the project from PPM to MSP
Expected results: No warning message is displayed.
Actual results: The below warning message is generated even though no dates have changed in the MSP project or the project's xml.
"The resource is assigned outside the original dates for task <Task Name> in project <project name>. The duration of this fixed-duration task will change to accommodate the resource assignment."
Workaround: The only workaround is to disable all warning messages in MSP, but this will prevent users from being notified of all warning messages.
To temporarily disable this setting:Open Microsoft Project and navigate to File > Options > Schedule > Schedule section an uncheck the checkbox titled 'Show scheduling messages'.
Note: If the above setting is turned off, you will not be notified if the duration of the fixed-duration task is changed upon being opened in Microsoft Project by design.
This issue is no longer reproducible in 15.1 Patch 5 and higher