When doing a role replace using the same resource a second time on a project, either the assignment for the second replace is blank or the role still remains on the assignment.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1. Create a new project
2. Go to the Team tab and add a role (Architect in this example) to the project with an allocation of 100%
3. Create a new task and assign the role to the task
4. Replace the role with a resource using the below steps:
- Go to the Team tab and click the magnifying glass next to the Role
- Click ‘Show All’ to bring up all resources
- Select the check box next to a resource and click ‘Replace’ (In this example the ‘admin’ resource is selected)
5. Click ‘Yes’ to the warning message about replacing the role (And if an overallocation message pops up, select the option to overallocate the resource)
6. Repeat steps 2-4 using a different role (Developer in this example) and the same resource (Admin in this example)
7. Navigate back to the task created in step 5 (task 2)
Expected Results: The task assignment shows the resource replaced in step 5 (Admin in this example) and on the Team tab, the architect is no longer a staff member.
Actual Results: The role is still assigned to the task. Additionally, if you go to the Team tab, even though the resource’s allocation has correctly doubled (now at 200% allocation) since it has taken on the role’s allocation twice, the Developer role is still showing on the team since it is still assigned to task 2.
- If the default allocation set in PPM is 0% / the roles/resources are allocated at 0% to the project, then the symptoms of this issue are a little different in that the role gets removed from the Team tab, and the assignment for task 2 is blank.
- If in step 6 you replace the role with a different resource then the resource used in the first role replace in step 4, the issue does not occur.
This issue is working as designed.
This issue is working as designed, as a team member already on the project being replaced with a role on the project will only take on the allocation of the role in the role replacement, but not the assignments. This is referenced in the documentation linked in the Additional Information section, "If already assigned to the project team, the named resource takes on the full allocation of the generic role but not all the assignments. If you replace a role with a resource that is not already on the team, the allocation and assignments transfer to the new resource."