This article discusses how to export Dashboards created by users without Dashboard Sharing rights, and import them for utilization by other users.
Some users are provided rights to create Dashboards. They create the Dashboards which are then reviewed and approved by administrators.
The users that created the Dashboards do not have rights to share the Dashboards they create with other users.
This solution was used to export these Dashboards, and import them via REST as the default admin user. This results in the Dashboard being visible and usable by other users.
The export and import process for Dashboards is documented in the CA Performance Manager Wiki Docs.
This process, when performed in REST as the default admin user, is what allows the Dashboard to become usable by other users. When the admin user imports the Dashboard, it takes on the Admin users rights, which turn it into a 'shared' Dashboard.
This is accomplished via REST API tools. See the following Wiki Doc section for REST based Dashboard import/export instructions.
This has been tested. The high level steps are:
- Log in to CAPC UI as user with access to the dashboard. Find and note the page ID per the user guide.
- Run a REST GET to obtain the Dashboards XML code definition.
- Run a REST POST against the test URL per the documentation.
- Once we have a success for the import test run change the URL from to import, run the REST POST again to import the Dashboard.
Per testing in an r3.1 lab:
- The existing Dashboard doesn't need to be deleted.
- It can be imported with the same name.
- To have a feature to move the Dashboard from the Users own space to a shared one visible to all users, via the web UI, is an Enhancement Request.
- Some Views may lose their configuration post import. Simply edit the View and reset it to return functionality. This is a known issue being addressed in defect DE300800. This will be fixed in a future CAPM release (specific release and ETA is unknown at the time this was written; 6/30/17)