BrightStor ARCserve Backup may have failed to connect to the agent for the following reasons:
- The Backup Agent RPC Server service is not running on the target server or, for the Agent for Microsoft SQL Server, the Backup Agent Remote Service is not running on the target server.
- The target database server instance may be stopped or inaccessible or the target server may be unreachable over the network.
- Machine authentication failure may have occurred for any of the following reasons:
- Incorrect user name or password or the user name was specified without a domain or machine name qualifier, and this qualifier is needed for this particular user on the target machine (Windows error 1326).
- The specified user does not have sufficient rights to perform a backup (Windows error 1385).
- The user name or password is missing (Windows error 87).
- The Backup Agent Remote Service or the Backup Agent RPC Server service is running as a user that does not have sufficient privileges to perform a Windows login (Windows error 1314).
- A failure to load the agent DLL into memory may have occurred because there is insufficient memory available or because the Backup Agent DLL does not exist in the agent home directory or the DLL path is incorrect in the registry.
To address this error message, implement the appropriate action, based on the Windows error code or type of failure, from the following list:
- For Windows Errors 1326 or 87, check the user name and password for machine login and specify domain or machine authentication for the target machine login. For a domain user, use the following format:
For a local machine user, use the following format:
- For Windows Error 1385, ensure that the specified user either has the Backup files & Directories privilege in the Local Security Policies of the database server machine or is a member of a group with this right. This right is typically held by the Administrators and Backup Operators groups.
For Windows Error 1314, perform the following procedure:
- In the control panel, under Services (for Windows NT) or Administrative Tools, Services (for Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows 2003), check that the Backup Agent RPC Server service and the Backup Agent Remote Service (Agent for Microsoft SQL) are running as LocalSystem, or as a user that is a member of the Backup Operators group.
- If the Backup Agent RPC Server service or Backup Agent Remote Service is running as a user that is a member of the Backup Operators group, ensure that the Backup Operators group has the Act as part of the Operating System right in the Local Security Policies of the database server computer.
- If you are backing up Ingres databases, ensure that the following privileges are assigned to the user:
- Act as part of the operating system
- Replace a process level token
- For other errors, verify the following:
- Verify that the target database server instance is running on the target server.
- Verify that the Backup Agent RPC Server service and, for the Agent for Microsoft SQL Server, the Backup Agent Remote Service is running on the target server.
- Verify that the target server has sufficient free memory available.
- Check network connections.
© 2005 Computer Associates International, Inc.
All rights reserved.